Thursday, October 17, 2013

Just saying...

I was watching one of my staple programs, "Project Runway". I love this show. Not so much for the fashion or the contestants. But because of Tim Gunn's vocabulary and how he uses it to describe fashion and odd scenarios is perfect. He is not only an impeccably dressed man, but chooses words as carefully as he chooses his clothing. One of my particular favorites is "Sturm und Drang".



More recently, he added to the list of Gunnisms. "Janky".

The exchange between me and my husband went like this:

Husband: Is that a word?

Me: I believe it is.

Silence...

H: The urban dictionary has a great definition of "janky".

M: Do tell.

He proceeds to read the following definitions and examples.

janky
(adjective) inferior quality; held in low social regard; old and delapidated; refers almost exclusively to inanimate material objects, not to people

(adjective) used to describe a person, place or thing which is questionable, fucked up, wrong, strange, broken down, undesirable, and/or just some thing you can't think of another word for. The origin of this work is explained somewhat in the conversation example. Friends and I were sitting around drinking coffee one morning, and I was bitching about my empty cup when my friend blamed the lack of coffee on the "janky ass coffee maker." I have since heard the word in the movie Friday. 

Other forms: janked, janked up, janked out,
We tried to pick up on these girls waiting for the bus, but I was driving my sister's janky 1989 geo metro so we just got clowned instead.
Michelle: yo, when's that coffee going to be ready? 

Crystal: I don't know. This janky ass coffee maker takes forever. 

And people say reality television isn't valuable. Thank you Tim Gunn. The next time I drive my janky 2000 Accord with it's janked up doors from inconsiderate jag-offs not paying attention when they open their own doors, I'll think of you and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment