Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Body Bug - My Personal FitBit Review

I just read a review on the FitBit, which got me thinking, "I should share this article with my friends because I agree!" Then I thought, "Why should I share a review of a product I use, when my friends would probably appreciate a review directly from me?" I started to write a Facebook update, but once it got past 6 lines, I decided it was time really share my thoughts.

Because I never do that.

You may be sitting there thinking, "What the heck is a FitBit, Desiree?" Basically, it's a pedometer...on steroids. It's not just a pedometer. It's a complete "body bug". It can track your steps, calories burned, and food logged. Depending upon the model you buy (I have the FitBit Flex), it also tracks your sleep. You see that? A body bug!

But the part I love the most is that once you buy your FitBit, you can download the app for free and manage all of these statistics in one dashboard.



Eat your heart out Weight Watchers! Okay, I'm not here to slam Weight Watchers. I did WW many years ago and it was a great program. But I don't have the time or desire to sit in a room and tell people what I ate...that's why I have Instagram. The app also has a social aspect. If you have friends who use FitBit you can view their stats and compete with each other. It is recommended that all Americans take a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. Since the nature of my work doesn't include a lot of walking, I am by no means, blowing that goal out of the water, but I have exceeded 10,000 steps several times.

What I can say since using the FitBit is that I have become more aware of my activity, and inactivity. Since using it, I have stopped using the elevator at work (with the exception of 2-3 or times). Since I work on the fourth floor, I get a nice hike in the morning (with my laptop and purse!) up to my desk and home at night. And every chance in between I get up more and move and take the stairs every chance I get.

No, I haven't dropped 20 pounds in 10 days and I'm not even back into my favorite pair of jeans that have been too small for the past 4 years. Not yet. As the saying goes, anything worth having is worth working for.



No comments:

Post a Comment